When I think of Summer I vision endless amounts of sunshine, family fun, picnics and bbq’s by the bucket load. During the Summer we love nothing more than to pick fresh fruit, well actually we enjoy eating them far more.
This year our Summer has been absolutely gorgeous and we are making our way through far more fruit than we usually would without any hesitation from the little one.
Right now it’s the British cherry season which means it is the perfect excuse to take advantage of all the lovely little red plump goodness that line the shops.
Last week when the weather was just as gorgeous as it had been all month we took Love Fresh Cherries up on the challenge to show you all how we enjoy eating cherries in our household. Truth is there are many, many ways in which we enjoy cherries but with the weather as warm as it has been there is no better way than to enjoy them during a picnic in great-grandma’s garden!
Shaniah’s cousin’s were there which means that she was able to share a picnic with her best friends. To accompany our picnic we needed cupcakes which the two girls were super excited to help create and Cherry and Banana smoothie to keep us cool.
Once the picnic blanket had been set and the food and drink had been placed on top, it wasn’t long before the youngsters got stuck in. I won’t lie, even I had the left over smoothie and a cake because boy do they taste gorgeous. Did you know, Cherries are bursting with vitamin C? Which means they are the perfect snack for growing youngsters and adults alike.
How to make.
Here is how to make the cherry goodies.
Banana Cherry Smoothie
You will need:
- 1 ripe Banana, sliced.
- 1/2 cup of Cherries, de-stoned.
- 1/2 cup Plain yoghurt.
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
- Squirty cream, optional.
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor and blend until very smooth. pour into plastic cups. Top it off with squirty cream and a pitted cherry if you fancy.
- Enjoy! These two certainly did, cheers!
Fresh Cherry Mini Cupcakes
You will need:
- 110g cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 110g caster sugar
- 110g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g Cherries, stoned and chopped
- 1oog icing sugar
- a few drops of pink food dye
- cherries stoned.
- Line a mini cupcake tin with paper cases. and Pre-heat the oven to 170°c Fan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extract and Cherries in a bowl and whisk together for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the cases then transfer the tin to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Test with a wooden toothpick, if it comes out clean the cases are done.
- Transfer the cakes to a wire rack and leave them to cool completely.
- Sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and add just enough water to make a thin pour-able glaze.
- Colour the icing with a few drops of pink food dye then spoon it on to the top of the cupcakes and top with cherries.
And there we have it, two ways in which we love to eat our cherries during the British summer season. How do you like to eat yours?
Disclaimer: This post is an entry for the BritMums #lovefreshcherries Challenge, sponsored by Love Fresh Cherries (Instagram: @LoveFreshCherries).